 Administrative / General / 13796
Re: A Question about Posting Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:49:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   I have had this question in my mind since Todd initiated the color-coding for responses in a thread: when someone replies to a post, why doesn’t the number of arrows correspond to the text of the poster? ... snip ... Can someone explain to me why this isn’t the case?

Well, the reason is because “Sensible Person” didn’t actually write the text “In lugnet.admin.general, Sensible Party wrote:”, so it’s not really something that they said.

I believe it’s the standard for old text email quotings and newsgroup quotings, which is what Lugnet is based on. Note that in most Bulletin Board posting styles, it’s different, and the entirety of the quote is put in a very visible box (sometimes quite handy).

So, basically, the answer is “because it’s more accurate”. But yeah, it sometimes takes a little while to figure out who said what.

DaveE

Of course the “XXX said” could be kept the same but colour coded with the daughter colour.

Tim