 Administrative / General / 13702
Re: Why do pictures in the guide detect as banner adds to Zone Labs/Check Point Integrity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:39:13 GMT

Gereon "Jerry" Stein wrote:
There may be a simple explanation for that, although I would rate
ZoneLabs as pretty pedantic if this should prove true:

Due to a severe issue with a script that generates the guide
thumbnail images, I have replaced that script by a solution using the
ImageMagick convert utility. This is a frequently used and very
well-behaving tool, but may modify the image headers of the jpeg
files to a point where your ZoneLabs gets the impression that these
images might be ads. First thing the script in question did was
re-generate _all_ the thumbnail images, so that might be why they are
now all blocked.

I can only assure you they aren't. While I am not particularly fond
of too much advertising imagery, I do not generally recommend setting
personal firewalling tools to blocking _images_ (graphics files).
When it comes to javascript, iframes, flash or anything - well, yes,
that's certainly worth blocking in some cases, but jpg, gif or png
images should be considered clean as a rule of thumb.

Try finetuning of your ZoneLabs settings, please, because I am afraid
we cannot fine tune the graphics manipulation scripts for all the
different personal protection tools out there...

Regards,

Jerry

I think one reason Zone Labs tries to block certain advertising images may
be to prevent using the image to collect information or something like that.
Also annoying are some animated images, though those may be separately
blockable.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to give different settings
just for Lugnet...

Hmm, this time when I tried hovering over the image, it did load (there is
an option for that), it didn't seem to work before.

Is it keying off the fact the image comes from a different host
(img.lugnet.com) than the page (guide.lugnet.com)? Or it is the fact that
the image is a link?

Frank