 Administrative / General / 13700
Re: Why do pictures in the guide detect as banner adds to Zone Labs/Check Point Integrity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:21:10 GMT

There may be a simple explanation for that, although I would rate ZoneLabs as
pretty pedantic if this should prove true:

Due to a severe issue with a script that generates the guide thumbnail images, I
have replaced that script by a solution using the ImageMagick convert utility.
This is a frequently used and very well-behaving tool, but may modify the image
headers of the jpeg files to a point where your ZoneLabs gets the impression
that these images might be ads. First thing the script in question did was
re-generate _all_ the thumbnail images, so that might be why they are now all
blocked.

I can only assure you they aren't. While I am not particularly fond of too much
advertising imagery, I do not generally recommend setting personal firewalling
tools to blocking _images_ (graphics files). When it comes to javascript,
iframes, flash or anything - well, yes, that's certainly worth blocking in some
cases, but jpg, gif or png images should be considered clean as a rule of thumb.

Try finetuning of your ZoneLabs settings, please, because I am afraid we cannot
fine tune the graphics manipulation scripts for all the different personal
protection tools out there...

Regards,

Jerry