 Administrative / General / 12365 (-20)
  Re: wish's - Contest canceled

Todd, since you responded, and this is your sandbox, I will respectfully withdraw the contests, out of regard for Lugnet. After all I do like the place. You have made your point clear and I will respect your wishes, this contest was of my own doing (...) (20 years ago, 3-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: wish's

(...) Chris, why are you doing this? Why are you attempting to undermine LUGNET administration? What do you hope to gain by it? What do your friends in rtlToronto think of your antics? You think it's fun to run a contest that ridicules someone? (...) (20 years ago, 3-Mar-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian

(...) Hear, hear! Tim and Stefan, I wholeheartedly concur. To become stressed out over little plastic bricks--however valuable they may be--is quite silly when you think about it. We all have our differences (sorry, that's just a "duh" statement) (...) (20 years ago, 3-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Dave, Does your complaint about whiners count as whining? Or is it only meta-whining? I'm easily confused. Mike (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) word life, yo. D. (20 years ago, 3-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian

OK, maybe we really do need two different discussions to happen, but the two are inextricably intertwined. Filters would catch the slips and that'd be a Good Thing(TM). Admins then have to deal with the bad eggs who intentionally try to beat the (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian

(...) It is a sad fact that people in the Western world are getting more and more stressed out, and the result is often bickering and whining in all kinds of situations which used to be a source for relaxation, all smiles and warm, fuzzy feelings. (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian

The problem is that we're not dealing with momentary issues where someone mistypes or whatnot. Willy went out of his way to use a cuss, and then went out of his way to obfuscate the Admin's process of dealing with his cuss. A filter won't deal with (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian

(...) Sadly the children tend to be the ones using the most unacceptable vernacular. (...) Yeah.. sure let the fox guard the henhouse. (...) As me Pappy used to say.. Sic' Em Boys! (...) I think we should give Lar a large Lego Bat to enforce the ToU (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote: ?<snip> (...) I won't speak for others, but I believe that the admins have the right and responsibilty to enforce the ToU. It is, after all, your house--should your ToU in your house require all people (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) The current process is unweildy, but it's what we've got now. This issue, among others, is helping to define what the policy and process *should be* rather than what they are right now. But as it stands, that's what it is, and that's what we (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

In lugnet.admin.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote: <snip> (...) I'm more than willing to give Larry the benefit--when passions are high, things get said in 'the heat of the moment'. That said, the consistant way in which the issue is overlooked and in (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) What a class act... I suppose the Admins will tell us that Larry's post doesn't technically violate the new (URL) posting guidelines>: Repeated abusive language or personal attacks, i.e. bringing more heat than light to a discussion... also (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !!

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

In lugnet.admin.general, Ken Dowd wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> As a Christian, I used to 'take offense' to OMG. But over the last decade, I write (and say), "Oh My Goodness!" so that's how I choose to read OMG now. You'd have to do something pretty (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Interesting point - the difference between profanities and vulgarities. Here on Lugnet mild instances of taking God's name in vain occur seemingly without making a blip on the radar. But, personally, I find a post like, "OMG! That MOC is (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Deep down I'm extremely worried about the future of this website. When we have an issue like this, where well intentioned people (not me, mind you--I have an apparent issue realizing where I screwed up) who point out very valid concerns about (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

Bingo! This one didn't seem to raise any eyebrows at all, but drop an f-bomb and you're banned until you recant. The enforcement mechanism obviously needs some tweaking : ) Like David K. said instituting a filter is about as even handed as we can (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

Bye. Just remeber, the loss is entirely yours. I'm just curious, do you have a driver's licence? If so, when you got it, you agreed to obey all of the traffic laws, including the speed limit. So, if you get caught for speeding, are you going to stop (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Still a violation and not just *my personal* interpretation. We already covered this the last time JoJo pulled this stunt. Quoting that word will not be tolerated. The rules are what they are. LUGNET is run the way it is run. Do not violate (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Bye, bye LUGNET

(...) Well, the relevant part from (URL) is this: "His attempt to run around the suspension by posting exclusively in admin.general..." Len identifies Richard's choice to post exclusively in admin.general (which he was explicitly required to do) as (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact