 Administrative / General / 12351
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tore Eriksson wrote:
But really,
is there anyone here who doesn't know that f**k is a bad word?  I think the only
two words that would get you an email from an admin are f**k and s**t.>
-Lenny

LOL, this is so cultural.

I have had a lot of contact with youth from the Swedish equivalent to Assemblies
of God. They would never ever take the Name in vain or mention the opposite of
Heaven if they aren't talking about that final destination. Neither do they use
the name of the evil one or his fallen angels in curses like most other Swedes
do. But they have no problems using the word 'skit' in every other sentence,
just because we Swedes don't find it offensive at all.

Interesting point - the difference between profanities and vulgarities. Here on
Lugnet mild instances of taking God's name in vain occur seemingly without
making a blip on the radar. But, personally, I find a post like, "OMG! That MOC
is awesome!" far more offensive than Richard M's infamous f-bomb post(1).

Ken

(1)Which is not to say that I approved of Richard's post.

Btw, the SweLUG group (loc/se) is cluttered with swearing, but not even I as a
Christian is offended by that. If it wasn't for the loss of Willy, I would just
find this debate amusing.

/Tore