 Administrative / General / 11907
Re: Louisiana bans gay marriages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:23:58 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Rob Hendrix wrote:
PS Is this on-topic and something that is allowable to talk about here?

Yes

My question would should it appear on the main new message listing?  It doesn't
pertain to Lego, much the same way that off-topic.debate doesn't, and that
doesn't appear on the main message list (not demanding anything here, just
curious).

Well, a fair number of the rtlToronto group's posts don't pertain to LEGO and
they appear on the main new message listing.  If people don't want to read the
posts here that they can add this group to the skip filter settings.

-Orion

I'm sorry, but what does a skip-filter have to do with the main message scroll?
If one could skip-filter it, then why would the off-topic forum be filtered out
by the system itself?

This is in regards to the main new message scroll that on-line users see in the
news main area, and doesn't apply to those who only get their Lugnet messages
via email.  Given the statements of many of those that wanted the lgbt forum, I
thought they would prefer to not have it on the main scroll.  If .lgbt contains
both on and off-topic material, I can see why by default its messages would
appear on the main scroll.  Anyway, it was a question for Todd and he can handle
it however he likes, I was just curious about the policy.

We're talking about the same thing, the web based interface found here:

http://news.lugnet.com/

The OT and Admin groups are not blocked automatically by the system per se,
that's just the default setting of your skip filter.  If you look on the bottom
of the main message scoll you might see a message like "Skipped X messages in
group X" and a link to the skip filter settings here:

http://news.lugnet.com/news/filter/

If you want to block lugnet.people.lgbt, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, or even
lugnet.technic.bionicle then you just add those group to your skip filter list.

-Orion
FUT to admin.general