 People / LGBT / 37
Re: Louisiana bans gay marriages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:43:53 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Which states in the US allow gay marriage?

Technically, Massachusetts is the only one (I think) that expressly(ish) allows
gay marriage.

MA recently had a court case wherein the court decided that it was illegal to
deny a gay couple the right to marry under the interpretation of current state
law. Hence, rather quickly, there were some attempted actions to reverse that
decision. IIRC there was a particular date when gay marriages would suddenly be
officially recognized, and there was much legal hubub to try and prevent it from
going through before that date. In the end, it went into effect, and it's now
legal in MA to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, but it's going to be
brought up again in a couple years (the soonest it can legally be re-addressed)
to see if state law can be changed to explicitly exclude gay marriage.

I seem to remember several years ago, Hawaii tried to legalize gay marriage, but
I guess it didn't succeed.  However, in the wake of the Massachusetts ruling,
various other states have also issued marriage licenses to gay couples, in
states where the law isn't explicitly written as "man and woman". Certainly
California was one such state, but I'm not sure about others. And I'm also not
sure if that's still going on elsewhere or not-- the hype here in Massachusetts
has died down quite a bit since the issue is no longer up in the air, so stories
about gay marriage licenses in other states are no longer being flogged by the
media in this neck of the woods.

DaveE