 Administrative / General / 11789
Re: My Own Train - Special Offer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:31:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur wrote:
   Am I alone in getting annoyed with TLC’s relentless “market” posts in non-market groups?

Probably not alone, but I’ll bet most people are willing to tolerate it in the name of good relations with TLC.

That said, I think you raise a good point, although I’m not sure I would have done it as a direct reply to one of the posts in question.

   Is this what we envisaged for LUGNET?

It certainly isn’t, no. However, I think in this case, the groups it was posted to are fairly targeted: Posted to .trains because it’s about trains; posted to .events.brickfest because it was mentioned at BrickFest and this is follow-up information; posted to .lego because it’s a TLC thing; posted to .market.buy-sell-trade because it’s a market thing; and posted to .announce because it’s an announcement. (I’m not defending it; I’m just analyzing what I think was the reasoning for the wide crossposting.)

The main things I’d change about the crossposting next time if I were Jake is using .lego.announce instead of .announce, and using .market.shopping instead of .market.buy-sell-trade.

Again, I don’t think you’re alone, but in the interests of having good relations with TLC and accomodating those who do want to see marketing messages from LEGO in non-market groups, I’m not going to intervene here unless these marketing posts get really out of control. Yes, it’s true that TLC is being allowed to break the rules here. Is that bad? I’m not sure. It feels wrong to me (the world’s biggest compartmentalized dork), but history has shown that cracking down on TLC for things like this has started flamewars in the past and that is much worse than letting them bend the rules.

Anyway, you might consider writing Jake privately and expressing your concern about the wide crossposting, and see what he says.

--Todd