 Administrative / General / 11711
  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) been fairly easy. Two weeks after that, however, I wrote a brand new search indexer and results engine which runs on the order of 100 times faster, but which doesn't make such filtering so easy. The old way, what it did was found all the (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) Sounds like the solution is to remove .debate from the top level index file, but leave it in the off-topic subtree index files. How hard could that be? Don (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) That would be trivial. But not a very good solution. --Todd (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) I think the issue is that then the only way to search for things in off-topic.debate would be to search there explicitly, and conversely, that no posts to off-topic.debate would *ever* show up in a regular search. So (say) if I were looking (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) Well, most of the time you get two choices for news search, just not at the top level. How about giving us two choices at the top level as well? "News" would be everything we get now, minus .debate. "News (Everything)" could be what we get (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) The "sewer"? That seems pejorative. You may no longer like debate but why cast aspersions? I could just as easily argue that I want .bionicle filtered out when searching at the top level as .debate with about as much validity. I think any hard (...) (20 years ago, 7-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.

(...) Why not? The folks in .debate cast aspersions all the time. (...) Maybe so, but bionicle isn't under off-topic, and isn't included in the default skip filters. Try the "animal" search youself. Imagine you're 8, searching for animal building (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jul-04, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)