 Administrative / General / 11718
Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Don Heyse wrote:

   Well, most of the time you get two choices for news search, just not at the top level. How about giving us two choices at the top level as well? “News” would be everything we get now, minus .debate. “News (Everything)” could be what we get now, including the kitchen sink and the sewer.

The “sewer”? That seems pejorative. You may no longer like debate but why cast aspersions?

Why not? The folks in .debate cast aspersions all the time.

   I could just as easily argue that I want .bionicle filtered out when searching at the top level as .debate with about as much validity. I think any hard coded solution may not be ideal, it will make some happy and some unhappy.

Maybe so, but bionicle isn’t under off-topic, and isn’t included in the default skip filters. Try the “animal” search youself. Imagine you’re 8, searching for animal building ideas at top of the lugnet front page, and the first link that comes up is a rant from Scott. Then try and wade through pages and pages of .debate nonsense before you get to anything remotely useful.

   Plus, while it’s an interesting problem to solve, is it as important to the overall health of LUGNET as, say, enabling users to reset their own passwords?

I think there’s an easy fix here so yeah, I’ll push it. Better than nothing getting done at all.

If you need help with the password thing, open it up. There’s plenty of talent here on lugnet.