 Administrative / General / 11716
Re: Apply skip filter settings to searches.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:25:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Don Heyse wrote:
   Sounds like the solution is to remove .debate from the top level index file, but leave it in the off-topic subtree index files. How hard could that be?

I think the issue is that then the only way to search for things in off-topic.debate would be to search there explicitly, and conversely, that no posts to off-topic.debate would *ever* show up in a regular search. So (say) if I were looking for a “recent” post of a particular author to see if they were still active (or looking for their current email address or something), I might have to make 2 seperate searches. Likewise if I happen to know that a particular topic skewed its way into off-topic, and I don’t know whether the post I’m looking for was before or after it went that way...

Well, most of the time you get two choices for news search, just not at the top level. How about giving us two choices at the top level as well? “News” would be everything we get now, minus .debate. “News (Everything)” could be what we get now, including the kitchen sink and the sewer.

   My vote would be for adding optional post-processing to the search. At the time it’s displaying the brief version, check the skip-filter settings and skip if necessary. This probably doesn’t *quite* work perfectly, since results may be returned in discrete chunks, and the code won’t know until afterwards if it got any valid results... but that may be work-around-able, depending on various whatnots.

Yeah sure, and throw in custom filters as well. That’d be great, but if it’s more than trivial, I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Don