 Administrative / General / 11566
Re: New group for LUG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:59:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Adam Murtha wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Adam Murtha wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me Todd!  The name of the LUG is the Southern
Alberta Lego User Group using the title SALUG.  We are based in Calgary,
Alberta, Canada.  We do not require any special requirements or
subgroups, just a group in the org.ca. group for us would be great.

OK, Adam -- all set.

--Todd

One more question, how do I go about getting the mod/admin priviledges for our
new newsgroup?

You can't. There are no moderation or administration rights at the newsgroup
level that are assigned.

However, if what you mean is how do you become a curator(1) (2) then the answer
is: read the newsgroup lugnet.admin.curators, especially the header or front
page in web view, and then either post there with your request (or, preferred by
me anyway, as it's much more convenient for me, although I acknowledge others
like to see the posts) send a note to myself and Frank with your member number,
and the exact name of the newsgroup(s) you want to be curator for. If there's
any reason to doubt that we'd know why you'd be a good choice, please include
zome explanatory text (3)

Hope that helps. This maybe ought to be a faq (or maybe is already, I forget and
am on dialup right now)

1 - curators have the power to create content, especially at the group front
page but elsewhere hung off the group. They have a "bully pulpit" in that by
being curator they have a bit more name recognition when they speak out about
things like off topic posts and etc. They do NOT have moderation or cancellation
privileges.

2 - and I think it is what you mean...

3 - i.e. "I am a member of the XYZ club and I want to be curator for
lugnet.org.us.xyzclub and my lugnet member number is 1234" ... not much more
than that is necessary except in exceptional cases but don't forget the number
and the group name!

++Lar