 Administrative / General / 11183
Re: The LEGO Racers theme should have its own newsgroup.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 03:33:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ray Sanders wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Stephane Simard wrote:
   Granted, many sets of theme are Technic flavored (those with mostly technic parts), and many are slighly Town flavored (those with a minifig, pull back motor and mostly bricks/plates).

But the theme still hasn’t got its own LUGNET newsgroup, and it’s one of Lego’ biggest theme at the moment (it single handedly replaced all the small Technic cars of the 90’s, and the whole “Town Race” subtheme), and is home of all of Lego’s RC cars.

I wouldn’t make a big deal of it, but come on, FABULAND, DUPLO, PRIMO and heck, even CLIKITS and (god forbid) GALIDOR got their own newsgroups!

So what do you think? Once created, .town and .technic could both link to it (same as how .town links to train, .space links to .starwars, etc)

Thanks for listening.

Maybe. I think ‘Racers’ is a branding thing that LEGO has choosen to do. To explain, sometime around the beginning of the 2002 set year, LEGO deleted the Technic moniker from most (possibly all) set boxes. Various Bionicle sets, which had ‘Technic’ prominently displayed in 2001, beginning with 2002 have only ‘Bionicle’. Same with ‘Racers’, Technic in 2001, then only Racers in 2002. Also noted the same change in Star Wars. I don’t think these sets are any less Technic beginning in 2002, just that they are no longer branded as such.

Which begs the question... Has ‘Technic’ been retired ?

Ray

The Technic name still exists on the boxes of 2003 sets such as 8454, 8455, 8453, 8438 etc.

Now, if ALL Racers sets were Technic flavored, there would be no point in having a separate newsgroup (just as there is no point to have a World City newsgroup). But you have to agree that many Racers sets have NOTHING to do with Technic.

    8357 Zonic Strike
106 elements, 1 figure, US$15, 2003
LEGO > Racers

    4594 Maverick Sprinter & Hot Arrow