 Administrative / General / 10893
Re: Problem with Password page?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:53:37 GMT

Well, I'll be darned...it's doing it to me too.
Thanks for reporting this... I'll get to the bottom of it and let you know
when it's fixed.

Brady,
I've fixed the problem -- although unfortunately I don't understand exactly
what was causing the hang-up.  It had to do with file locking rather than CPU
consumption.  I changed the version of Perl (5.00503 instead of 5.6.1) that's
being used for that script.  Either there's a bug in Perl 5.6.1 which is being
triggered by something in my pw code (I wouldn't be surprised, since 5.6.1
segfaulted all the time last month), or my pw code has some insidious bug
somewhere that only shows up under 5.6.1 due to some esoteric Perl weirdness I
don't understand.  We ran various flavors of Perl 5.004 at the old server
(prior to last month) and all the code ran very happily on that for years.

In any event, please retry now.  I'm sorry you ran into this.  Thanks
again for reporting the problem, and.....welcome!

--Todd