 Administrative / General / 10784
Re: Republic of Congo Scam - hit me and other cox.net Lego Fans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:41:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy Scott writes:
Well, we all get spam.  I don't get too much, but I get some!  Today I got
three from the same spammer.  The spam was sent to cox.net Lego fans.  I
know bhamilto1 (Brad Hamilton), copyright (myself) socalray (I know I have
seen this guy here!) and legodan44 (obviously a lego guy) all are lego fans
and were each one of the 20 who got hit. Since I would know of no other
place my email would be listed with other Lego fans, I smell a fish.

So my suspicion suggests that the spider or guy hit Lugnet to get our info.
Just thought I'd let you know!

All spam is bad. But some is worse than others.

I find these "heartrending stories" of widows/sisters/illegitimate sons of
strongmen with mysterious strongboxes of cash or secret bank accounts to be
more amusing than annoying. A new twist for me is that I started getting
Cote d'Ivoire ones.. great stories of hidden diamond mines, siphoned
military pay, food rations expropriated, etc. etc.

(note that there is nothing funny about the real graft that goes on every
day in many countries... just something funny about the positioning of these
scams. Why anyone would think they could trust someone who says they stole
money and need help to get part of it out is beyond me, once a thief always
a thief. But I digress)

YMMV of course and they nevertheless ought to be stopped.

But I XFUT o-t.fun nevertheless