 Administrative / General / 10689
Re: Lugnet listed as Open relay at ORDB.org?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 04:37:58 GMT

Below is a reply I received from my email provider after I requested A
solution to my problem from their end.

-Rob

Hello,

Thanks for your description. Now I see the situation.

Yes, the mail server on all standard LinkSky accounts uses the Open Relay
Database as a first line defence against spam.

Open Relay Database is really not anywhere near extreme and will only put a
new server in the database after receiving a ton of complaints and also
after a lengthy period of testing where it is determined that the server in
question is in fact an Open Relay.

An server acting as an open relay is often a server that is misconfigured to
such a degree that absolutely anyone can directly connect via SMTP for
broadcasting masses of junk email a.k.a. spam. (This does not have anything
to do with the sending common new group alerts.) Thankfully there are not
very many open relay servers. A few open relay servers have been put up by
mass email marketers specially to route spam email broadcasts.

If we were to drop the ORDB filter from our servers, immediately all LinkSky
members would most likely receive 30 to 40% more junk email as well as a
substantial increase of virus attached email (as spammers are now using
email attached with virusus to infect personal computers so that they will
re-broadcast their spam). As a result, Linksky servers would be slowed for
both email services and web access to a significant degree, i.e. by just
trying to handle the additional load of pure junk coming from these open relays.

I am sorry that you have had to go outside of your LinkSky account to
receive notices from your usenet service. Perhaps you could open a free
hotmail email account specifically for this.

In any case, there is really nothing we can do as the problem rests entirely
with the server at lugnet.com. It is up to them to close their open relay,
so that their IP will be taken off the list at ORDB.

Thanks,
-- Joseph Maas, support management, LinkSky