 Administrative / General / 10229
Re: Porthole alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Larry Pieniazek writes:
In my view your follow up post to the original advertisment
you snuck in to .trains should have went to
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade only. I suspect that view is
held by others as well.

I knew you were gonna yell at me...

I see no yelling. Merely gentle guidance.

but I figured the original post was

(off topic)

in trains, can't hurt to port one extra message there

(because I got away with the first one?)

to keep everything
in the same place.  Instead we now have three off-topic messages...

Four.

FUT admin.general since you seem to have an issue with gentle guidance on
this. Your original message was off topic for .trains and a followup post
saying merely "I sold out" was even more clearly off topic.

Unless you think you get a special pass on this for some reason. Take it up
with the admins since my guidance has failed.

And yet this thread generated responses by those who took the idea and made
their own portholes for their own trains, so it appears to be a pretty
legitimate train topic to me.

If Bram said 'You must buy my stuff to see how I do it!' then it's pure
selling.  What he did do was put up *directions* to build a *porthole* for a
***train***  hence, train topic.  If he also wanted to sell said porthole,
it was cross-posted to buy/sell/trade for that bit.

So the issue didn't happen until you, Larry, made it an issue.  This is not
laying the smakdown, just making an observation, imho.

Further, the order of replying is very important... if I understand it
correctly,

Bram posts 'Hey, lookit my protals, and if you wnat one, you can buy it...'
to trains and buy/sell

Others post saying 'What a great idea--think i'll build my own!'

Larry posts with cute banter even, about banner ads

so far, no issue

Bram goes on to post that he's sold out, both to .trains (for those train
heads that might be interested still) as well as .buy/sell...

I agree with that post as well...

Larry phrased a very polite and sincere post saying that in his opinion (as
well as some others) that Brams sold-out post should be only in buy/sell...
I do not agree, but I concede to those that are 'in the know' i.e.
responsible for the newsgroup.

Bram, jokingly, replies to Larry's post, saying 'smackdown' et. al...

And then it gets to .admin.general.

If the discussion ensued beyond this point, then get it to .admin.general
and bug the admins.  Up until this point there was little to get your
knickers in a knot over.

This is where I will reiterate the thick skinness needed for the situation.
Bram last post didn't post more sales or whatever, he just replied to
Larry's post in a 'banter-like' fashion.

I can't speak for Bram, but I don't think he has a problem with 'gentle
guidance'  At least, that's the way it appears to me.

Since my post dealt with my appreciation for Bram's portholes for .trains, I
could have left it there.  However, since tempers are short to begin with, I
removed it from that group.  As well, I hope it shows the impromptu and
unneeded escalation to .admin.general.  Since my reply has nothing to do
with buy/sell, that was removed as well.