 Administrative / General / 1016
Re: Don't steal things from other web sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 03:19:59 GMT

[I'm replying to Dave & Terry here at the same time, but following-up to
Dave's message.  I re-inserted some elements of Terry's message deleted by
Dave to make the reply easier for me.]

Dave Baum:
Terry Keller:
Todd Lehman:
You said that you were blatantly stealing material from another
website.  This is a violation of the Terms of Use for this Internet
site. Please review <http://www.lugnet.com/terms/> in detail.

Yikes!
Todd, this seems to be saying that no one could in any way quote any
information from any source without explicit permission (with a few
exceptions).

Copyright law includes the concept of "fair use" to cover this problem.
For example, one can quote a paragraph from a book in order to critique
it.  You can do this without permission of the copyright holder.  The
exact terms of "fair use" are rather vauge, but I can probably dig up
some "guidelines" and post them(1) if others are interested.

If my interpretation of the LUGNET policy is correct, then as long as
the quote is within "fair use" it can be posted to LUGNET (assuming the
absence of other issues such as privacy, etc).

Dave

(1) according to fair use, of course :)

Right-o, yup.  If it truly falls under Fair Use (which is very gray)
then it's almost certainly OK here.  Just don't post anything here which
could get you in trouble or get us in trouble if we ever published, say,
a CD-ROM archive of the newsgroups.  We don't want to have to go weed
out illegally-posted content.

I have seen many instances of people quoting news information that would,
stricly speaking, be prohibited here.

Does it make it more wrong in this instance because of that " +++Begin blatant
stealing of Material+++" disclaimer? That seems to be an intentional attempt at
humor.

No, the tongue-in-cheek "blatant stealing" acknowledgement/humor doesn't
make it any more wrong or right.  It's not a valid disclaimer, either.

He did give the URL of the sources of this info.  And all he did was quote
something in its entirety.   Each section was clearly delineated and reference
was made to its origin.

It's still a violation of the owner's copyright, unless the owner explicitly
grants people the right to republish the information elsewhere.

It's worse to infringe copyright without attribution than with attribution,
but it's still wrong.

Should he have re-written it in his own words, or
paraphrased it?

Probably, yes.  Or asked for permission from the author, and noted at the
bottom of the posting that permission was duly obtained.

--Todd