 Administrative / General / 1020
Re: Don't steal things from other web sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 06:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Should he have re-written it in his own words, or
paraphrased it?

Probably, yes.  Or asked for permission from the author, and noted at the
bottom of the posting that permission was duly obtained.

Hrmmmm.

I can definitely see a complete 100% copy and paste really calling for
this, especially since they were "original" descriptions, not just
facts.

Gotta wonder, though, how many people really bother with this, and if
everyone did,

I wonder too.  I think it definitely slows the spread of information.
Still, I don't believe that the ends don't justify the means; and getting
permission first probably only slows things by a very small percentage
overall.

how much less useful information would be spread around
to people looking for it.

Then again, think how much less useless information would be spread around
as well!  (All those silly self-propagating e-mail-viruses hoaxes and cookie
recipes, etc.  :-)

--Todd