 Administrative / Database / 2721
Re: Getting my set list from Peeron to Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:09:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.admin.database, Warren Nagel wrote:
I orignally uploaded my set lists from Lugnet to Peeron, as I added more
sets I listed them on Peeron. How can I easily get Lugnet updated with the
added sets.

At present, it's probably not easy. I can't think of a reasonably quick way to
do this. The best way would be:

1) Export your set list from Peeron:

http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/myparts-export

2) Export your set list from LUGNET:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/mlistraw.cgi?m=123
(switch out the "123" in the URL with your member number, or click on "download"
on your LUGNET set list)

3) Go through one by one and fix the discrepancies manually (more helpful if you
read them into a spreadsheet like Excel, and have it show you differences, which
at least it can *somewhat* help you with)

Speaking as a quasi-sorta-admin-person, though, it should be reasonably simple
to add functionality to LUGNET to do it, with a simple "mass upload" feature.
The only sticky bit is that LUGNET keeps both a private and a public list-- so
in theory you might have two different lists, whereas Peeron only has a single
list. You'd have to resolve that, but it should be pretty straightforward.

The more annoying part to do (insofar as adding the functionality to the sites)
would be in terms of setting LUGNET up to automatically refresh with Peeron's
data on a regular basis, similar to how Peeron can automatically download from
LUGNET (if you've got it set that way on your account). That's a bit more
difficult to program, so I'd probably steer away from that. But certainly
conceivable. Hmm.

DaveE

Thank you for your reply, I guess I always thought it would be easy to go back
and forth with the information so I didn't pay that much attention that I was
updating Peeron and not Lugnet. I like your idea for Lugnet to automatically
refresh but I'm not holding my breath. I worry that all of the lego sites aren't
that stable so the more places I can keep that information the better.