 Administrative / Curators / 62
Re: What happened to the Cool site of the Week?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:58:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Matt Hein writes:
Have any of you noticed that for the last several months, something's been
missing on Lugnet's home page?

Yes, I'd say a LOT is missing from Lugnet's home page.  Everything is out of
date and, IMO, generally doesn't really represent Lugnet very well.  Let me
be specific. I'll start at the top and go down:

---
Links. While at one time "Everything Lego" was a great list of links to fan
created Lego sites, since it's come to Lugnet is has grown increasingly out
of date and seemingly is never updated.  It seems that a great number of the
links are dead and new pages aren't being added.

Shop.  I loved when the Brickwise report was being updated.  Now when I
visit I find that most of the good deals are long gone.  The links are still
there but the products on the sites, for the most part, are not.

Crossword Puzzle.  I remember when Suz started this feature.  It was neat at
the time, but the last update was January 2001.  That's over a year old.

Minifig Generator. Is this down for good or just everytime I check?  It says
"This area is currently unavailable due to heavy visitor traffic" so it may
just be that I'm checking when everyone else is.

Reference section:
Brickshelf no longer has set instructions online.
Set Inventories - Seemingly contains only inventories of very old sets.  The
link to Peeron is the best thing found here.

The LUG World map doesn't have the newer groups (NILTC for example) and
while researching this I found some dead links on the map. :(
---

I always go to http://news.lugnet.com/ anyway, but new visitors to Lugnet
aren't being shown the true community very well.  Lugnet used to be kept
very up to date, but it seems that since Todd's not doing it that no one has
taken the slack.

What I'd like to see is someone redesigning the front page with either
easily updateable or timeless info.  I bet that if someone did a good job
and submitted it to the site maintainers that we'd have a new (hopefully
better) front page.

I mean this post as constructive (no pun intended) criticism and not as an
attack and I hope it's taken that way.

Ben Roller

P.S. Remember to set your follow-ups correctly. :)