 Administrative / Curators / 222
Re: Have a curator for robotics/rcx/legos ? and...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:40:26 GMT

Which brings up the next subject.  Our name has changed
from legOS to brickOS (to get distance from Lego Company
trademarks.)

Our users are asking when the lugnet group will also change
names.  Where should this be discussed and what are our options
(keeping content/history under new name, etc.)?

I would consider keeping the old group and creating a new one for brickOS.
My main reasoning is that there are sure to be queries about previous
releases of legOS for quite some time, and I'd rather see these separate. • As
long as the main legOS page & charter were amended to point out that posts
relating to newer versions (brickOS) should be in the other group.

I would prefer to see a single newsgroup for several reasons. brickOS is a
morphing or molting from legOS if you will not a diverging or evolutionary
different creation (i.e. it is only a name change). brickOS and legOS are
the same beast as compared to for example brickOS(legOS) vs. lejOS. If, for
example, brickOS was a reworking of legOS using LISP or .NET instead of
C/C++ then I could see the need for a separate newsgroup.  Having two
newsgroups means we all have to follow two news threads to get all the
information we would normally find in one. In other words I don't see any
differences between these two newsgroups.  They are one in the same.  There
is no core development on legOS as far as I can tell from outside of that
being done by those doing development on legOS which we are now calling
brickOS.

It'd probably also be easier from an admin (Lugnet) point of view.

This is the real deciding factor in my mind on whether or not is it is kept
as a "single" newsgroup.   Let me explain by what I mean as a "single"
newsgroup.  If possible I would like to see a new newsgroup,
lugnet.robotics.rcx.brickos, started but with the first posting being
numbered after the "last" posting to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos.  And any new
postings to legOS go to brickOS. Looking at the newsgroups on lugnet access
to news posting appear to come through a cgi script and should be a matter
of scripting.  The real difficulty is I believe this violates the NNTP
standard (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc977/rfc977.html) which for access
outside of the lugnet web interface poses a problem. If it is possible I
would prefer one newsgroup.

Ed