 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 30
Re: We Did It!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:01:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Thomas Michon writes:
Tim -

Right now, I don't have any better pictures of the tower than what you can
see on our website
(www.scltc.org/pages/galleries/layouts/gatsjanuary2002/air.htm).

When I designed the tower, my goal was to make the vertical section as tall
and as visually interesting as possible. I decided early on to use an
octagonal shape, and sketched out various concepts for the top, but not many
for the vertical section. Finally, I settled on an idea, which would involve
a square vertical section, using trans-light blue panels (for an elevator
shaft maybe) with large, thin black rings to break up an otherwise plain
look. When building the tower, I managed to match my sketch almost
perfectly, down to every last detail drawn!

The top involves inverting four of the large 5 x 10 x 3 sloping octagonal
windshields in light blue. I felt they had the proper look for a control
tower, and had to come up with a way of hodling them in place, which was not
that hard. The roof and the section just below the windshields used slope
bricks, placed an various angles to make sure that the shape stayed
rectangular while expanding.

I figured the tower would not look good just standing by itself, and so
attached a building to it to make it look less top heavy. Anyway, I think it
seems more realistic to have a lobby area =). The miscellaneous details
added to the tower, such as the radar and microwave antennas, just make it a
little less bland.

The color scheme and design looks too much like that of a military base to
me, though, but I thought of an excuse. "The tower is a relic of the air
force base which once occupied the location...".

I hope this information helps, and I will try to get more detailed pictures
added to the website under www.scltc.org/pages/galleries/models.htm.

- Thomas

Thomas, funny that Military Airbase thing is what *I* was thinking when
building my previous models. Canada built a bunch of Airfields for the BCATP
durring WWII. Two years ago I spent 6 weeks on one of these decommisioned
bases, and after flying between 3 of these airfields that have been
converted to airports in a Cessna I noticed that they all have the same
design. It's pretty much like yours, Most of them have obviously upgraded
since WWII but the design stayed the same, a square vertical tower set upon
building that's not attached to the terminal. For my terminal (Which is
going to have the internal details because I wanted the entire outside
glass!) I'm just planning a vertical section like you described (Inside the
Terminal) , with 2 levels of Bay Windows and 2 4 x 1x 6 windows. I'm not
sure weather I'll just put the control inside there or If I can find enough
blue large windshields (The part # escapes me now) to have traditional
control tower setup.

-Tim