 General / 35073
Re: We Did It!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 05:33:45 GMT

Tim -

I built the airport terminal and my dad built the airplanes and jetways. My
brother added a motor to the small prop plane to spin the propellers. They
are all minifig scale.

I decided while building my terminal that the LEGO standard 4-wide airplanes
would look like private jets when compared to the rest of the building. So,
after many experiments, we settled on an 8-wide cylindrical fuselage for a
large 757. I designed the wings, and my dad assembled the fuselage, nose,
and tail. While the structural supports make it impossible for a minifig to
actually fit inside the plane, it still looks a reasonable size compared to
the ground crew and the jetways.

The jetways are fully articulated, capable of rotating left and right on
wheels and elevating up or down. The "mouth" of the jetway can also swing
left and right to better line up with the plane. Unfortunately, the jetways
can not extend and contract, since that would require some rather incredible
feats of engineering. (They look like they can because my dad decided they
should be different lengths.)

I hope this information answers all the questions you brought up. Stay in
touch with our website at www.scltc.org for more pictures of our planes,
trains, and our pretty blue ribbon.

- Thomas

PS the only true minifig scale aircraft are in LEGOLAND Denmark! Ours just
look big enough...

In lugnet.general, Tim Tosino writes:
I saw your pics on brickshelf was amazed! Do you have anymore detail pics of
the airport? For our last display at a local mall I was responsible for an
airport for a static display. Are the planes and terminal minifig scale?
While my next one might not be as big as that one I'll try to keep to
minifig scale. I realaise that you might not be ther person to ask but I'm
hoping the person/people that made it will reply.

-Tim Tosino