 Trains / Train Organizations / NILTC / 67
Re: NILTC Show at Illinois Railway Museum - Aug 15-17 and Aug 23-24
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:50:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.niltc, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org.niltc, John Gerlach wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org.niltc, Tim Courtney wrote:
Well, we discourage "guest trains" from the audience, simply because we had a
rather unique experience with a kid whose trains we offered to run. BUT - if
you're an established member of an established train club, I don't see how
running your trains would be a problem. So, please, bring them out!

You've had problems with guest trains in the past?  Do tell!  The only problems
the GMLTC has had recently is when a kid brought his Hogwart's Express.  We're
so used to running our 8-wide trains - they require almost full throttle - we
ran his right off the table...  OOPS!!  He was pretty cool about it though, and
laughed while I rebuilt it.

Ohh, I wish that was our problem :-) There's a mentally handicapped child who is
at one of our shows every year. He really loves the trains, but is quite loud
and disruptive - and his parents have difficult time controlling him. One of our
members (who shall remain nameless - no, it was not me), said it was OK for him
to bring his own LEGO trains in the next day. So, he did.

We ran the trains ... and during that time period he would not be quiet, at all.
He brought a My Own Train from my recollection. Since we also had a stock MoT on
the layout, he decided to bug our poor yardmaster for about 15 minutes to "pull
it toghether, like the twins!" We couldn't figure out what he was referring to,
and finally put it together that he wanted the two MOT engines to run together.

The real problem was the annoyance of the child (who looked about 14)
incessantly trying to get our attention, while we had other things to do
(sometimes cleaning up trains, switching, or (God forbid) resting behind the
tables). Also, it appeared the parents left for a period of time, leaving the
kid and his brother (who appeared sane, but probably not more so than the
rivet-counters across the room) by the layout, essentially for us to watch
(since they were being so disruptive).

Gosh, I'm tired. I meant this last parenthetical to mean ... "this was a
problem, since they were being so disruptive."

-Tim