 Trains / Train Organizations / 2876
Re: Questions about doing a museum show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:58:33 GMT

Thanks everyone for replying with such great info and ideas.  I'm a list
person, so here's a list of some of what I've learned:

- Best not to leave anything really fragile or difficult to rebuild out
during the week when the museum staff will be looking after it.
- Dust might become a problem.  Possibly use bedsheets to cover it at
night.
- Some sort of timer or button to push to start trains is a good idea
during the week (save wear on train motors).
- Have signs telling people that trains occasionally stop if on timers.
- Leave the complex stuff turned off while members not there (cows and
other RCX stuff)
- Leave (a few copies of) clearly written instructions for museum staff,
including contact info for members.  Clearly mark the main power bar to
switch layout on/off (maybe put flagging and a sign on it).
- Best to pack up under the table or take home stuff you don't want messed
with during the week (RCX, code pilot).
- Least possible number of switches on the main line.  Maybe insulate
(paper or a piece of new plastic track) between sidings and main line.
Can either power separately (no power during week) or use HOG to move
trains.
- use extra magnets between train cars as they will start suddenly during
the week with timers etc.
- Label all your non-LEGO stuff clearly (power bars, extension chords,
remotes).
- Make sure members don't burn out covering shifts at the museum.  Share
the workload.
- Running constantly, train motors last "1-3 weeks. That is at 5 hours a
day 7 days a week."

Gail Meagher
NovaLUG