 Trains / Train Organizations / 2868
2867  |  2869
Subject:
Questions about doing a museum show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:22:39 GMT

I'm looking to pick the brains of clubs who have done longer duration
shows, especially at a museum.  NovaLUG (Nova Scotia, Canada) has been
approached by a museum, but the longest show we have done before was one
day setup and two day display.  In this case we would be there on
weekends, but let the museum staff handle things during the week (with a
couple of members working nearby, available in an emergency).  Time
periods from three weeks to three months have been mentioned.

What sort of things have you required the museum supply?  I'm thinking
secure barrier, tables (we don't have them), electricity, and some train
motors(1).  Maybe a suggestion box for things to add to the layout if it
is a three month show.  Perhaps free parking and museum passes.  Anything
else?

I'm also curious about how many train motors we might go through.  I know
motor life will vary depending on many things (track design, weight of
train etc.), but does anyone have a rough idea for how many motors we
might need for a three week show, running 9-5 7 days a week?  How about
three months?  I was thinking n+1 motors for n loops, but I don't know if
this is reasonable.  If we are doing simple ovals, would it help to change
the direction the motor is travelling every week?  I haven't run my trains
long enough to wear out a motor yet (no home layout and short shows).

Anything different in planning this type of layout?  The only thing I can
think of is to use an RCX 1.0 with power adapter for any controlled things
(cows especially).

How have others planned for possible overheating power supplies?  I know
some have used timers to run for a certain amount of time, then shut off
for awhile.  Would a button to press to make the trains run for 10 minutes
work better?

Any advice or tales of how you worked something like this out greatly
appreciated.

Gail Meagher
NovaLUG

I've cross posted this to lugnet.trains for the exposure, but set
follow-ups to trains.org where I think it belongs.

(1) Instead of the many 'wow....'(2) thoughts that could have sprung to
mind when this opportunity came up, my first thought was 'no one will want
to run their perhaps soon to be discontinued train motors for that long'.

(2) Wow, what an opportunity.  Wow, I've been so jealous of other clubs
who have gotten to do this sort of thing.  Wow, doing a longer show should
be more relaxing, and we can add to it over time.  Wow, this is such a
cool space and we can add to the harbour to tie into the fact that it is
the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.  Wow, we'll get to meet a whole
different bunch of people and maybe recruit more members.  Wow, this will
be great publicity for the club.....