 Trains / 6249
Re: Lego® train motors from 1966 till now...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:52:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Haye writes:

Thanks Mark,

for your reply and good hints and questions!

I just have done a bigger update on my  "LEGO® Motor History" site.
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/9v_12v/9v_12v.html

Ben, this is a great site.  I find the motor history fascinating.  I do have
a few questions:

I have seen pictures of a 60s-era motor and battery box that were made with
clear parts.
There is a scan on Joe Lauher's "The Construction Toy Homepage" web site:
http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_c1.jpg
Is this the earliest known LEGO motor?  Was it before you started
collecting?

This catalog is not dated, but I suppose it might be from before 1966. If
that's the case, this would be indeed the very first Lego® motor. But anyhow:
it was a US-only set from the samsonite era. These have had some parts we never
got here in Europe. For e.g. we have never had these extra large gear wheels.
Our gear wheels (invented in 1972 in only 3 sizes) have had other numbers of
teeth and different colours to.
http://members.xoom.com/legoit/m72de-06.jpg

Maybe someone of the experts is able to tell exaclty from which year this
catalog is: on page two I see a tow bar: that's a part which was invented in
1965. So this catalog might be from the same year.
http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_c2.jpg

You say that the 4.5v battery box grew between the '69-'75 version in set
103 and
the '76-'89 version in set 107 in order to accomodate larger batteries.  I
have a motor
and battery box from set 310 (Motorized Trucks) which I received for
Christmas in '69
and I have a set 107 which I purchased in '85.  The only difference I see
between the
battery boxes is that the newer one has a thicker lid (two plates thick
instead of one).

Yes, and batteries grew in diameter: if you put todays type C (I hope that's
right?) into the old boxes, the walls bend alot.

I once bought an old battery box, still filled with batteries from the middle
of the 70ies: the really have been somewhat smaller in diameter! And a friend
of mine is sure that all batteries have been in that smaller size in his youth
and he even remembers that the size was oficially enlarged. I think that was
possibly only a German/European problem to change size to international
standard?

But even worse is the usage of rechargeable type C batteries: they are one or
two millimeters longer, than the normal ones.

The size of the battery compartments themselves are identical.  To my
knowledge the
battery size has never changed.  Perhaps Europe used to use different sizes?
Are
you still able to find batteries of the right size to fit your set 103?
What size are they?

For the old battery boxes I use rechargeable type AA batteries. They have
exactly the right lenght, but of course a too small diameter. But you can solve
that with wrapping around thick paper, or adding plastic rings as adapters.

Are you going to expand the site to contain information on motors not
specifically used
for trains?  I would love to see more ... keep up the good work.

I'm a trainiac and due to this, I will not complete the site with technic and
other motors, even if that are not so much: I know grey 4.5 V, black 12V, and
two types of 9V technic motors. Of course micro motor and at least the basic
motor. (Are there any Duplo motors?)

Best Regards,

Ben

BTW: what's the set number of the clear samsonite motor?
Ok, just searched myself in Pause: it's 002, but no year is given :-(

But next questions: does the box have a switch? And how do you fix the wheels?

Surftip for old Lego® paperware:
http://buerger.metropolis.de/legoit/lego.html