 Trains / 5902
Re: Question about Running 12v trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.boats, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 16:38:28 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
P.s.: I damaged some bricks with strong soap water once: I played "rescue
divers" with the armless pre minifigs in that water (maybe quite hot with
nearly 40 °C) and they dived through the "foggy" water, to do ther jobs. And
all the bricks I used lost their capability to hold against each other. If I
just blow agaist those pre minifigs today, they break in parts....
I'm not sure if the heat or the soap damaged the ABS material.
[getting too off-topic here....]

One possible explanation for this (since I have washed many bricks and
noticed this sometimes, but not most of the time): Dirty bricks will
have a layer of grit on them which could throw off the tolerances, and
will increase wear, especially anyplace there's a tight fit. When this
grit gets cleaned away in the soapy water, the bricks are now too loose.
Another possibility if the bricks are heated while connected is that the
plastic will "reset" to the slightly stretched connected position. What
I'm not sure of is why it seems sometimes like you need a jackhammer to
seperate a pair of bricks, but once you do, they become "loose". One
factor here of course is that wear may occur during the seperation
process. There could also be situations of a film of oil provides bond
which holds the bricks, but once is disturbed, doesn't work any more.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com