 Trains / 5888
5887  |  5889
Subject:
Question about Running 12v trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 20:22:46 GMT

For a 7864 12v train speed regulator:
Went down to Radio Shack yesterday and bought a 40W 110v to 220v step up
transformer.  So far as I can tell 40W is just fine for running the LEGO
12v trains and accessories.  The German plug on the 7864 goes straight into the
Radio Shack unit without any further adaptors.  Very nice.

Concerning accessories:
I have noticed the 13v output sockets on the 7864 LEGO 12v speed regulator.
Can that connector be used for use with 12v street lamps so they are at
constant brightness rather than variable pick up from the electrified train
track?
I'm a little concerned that it says 13v, but that the lights are 12v.  Oh, is
the 13v output AC rather than DC?

I understand that the typical way to power 12v street lamps is via the
connector at the end of the daisy-chained remote control switch panel bank.
Just curious abou the 13v output.

Also, while running my 12v train at maximum speed I measured the voltage
on the electricified rails:  it measured over 13v.  I wonder if that could
burn out the 12v train motor?

Thanks for the help.
later,
James Mathis