 Trains / 5316
5315  |  5317
Subject:
Perhaps not a hoax... was:: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:37:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I've been following this all morning trying to find a good place to jump in
and decided to get in at the start.

Some think it's a hoax others hope that it is not, but I think that is is
possibly real.  Let me bring up a few things up I've not heard before:

Lots of people are saying LEGO hasn't done this, that or something else
before.  My response: Lego is doing a lot of things differently now then even
five years ago.  Notably a reduced time to market.  Early internal promo
material may easily include old logos as place holders, and digitally modified
artwork while they make refinements and arrange for final artwork, images etc.

For example: They may very well know that they will have a set with a four
stud and eight stud long track section.  But not have a piece to shoot for a
sample marketing layout.  Any decent graphic designer could mock up something
for the purposes of internal review.

This could easily be a hoax.  But in my mind, it could also, very reasonably,
be a sneak peak at the upcoming product line.

One things makes me believe the models are actual LEGO models.  The metal
wheels. Metalic objects are very difficult to photoshop realistically and even
more difficult to get reflections (relatively easy with povray and such), but
not so in photoshop.  Notice the light reflections on the ground in front of
the wheels - I believe this is an actual photograph of a LEGO model with metal
wheels.  I further believe that it is a LEGO model, built by a LEGO employee,
for it difficult to have such wheels made and interface as cleanly as those
do.  Finally, I suspect the connecting rods are prototype versions.

To wrap up, hoax or not, my hat goes off to the model builder, AFOL or LEGO
employee, whichever the case.  These models are fine LEGO trains.

Ben F

In lugnet.trains, Paul Rutenberg writes:
Hello
Look at following link, about time we get something before the USA, gtfthis is
a scan of of upcoming sets for Lego end of the year, YEAHHHHHHHHH:
http://members.tripod.de/legoit/herbst2000.html

A happy 9V Trasin Collector and builder
Paul