 Trains / 5265
Re: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:33:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Trains are designed in Germany. 3225 was. If this is for real, it is somehow
connected with a DB (Deutsches Bahn, the German nationalized railways)
promotion.

Could this in itself be a problem that Lego wouldnt not want to encourage? i.e
the sets are too German.
By that I mean too localised (nothing specific against the Germans I would
like to point out).
If lego want to sell sets on the world stage woulnt they want to produce sets
more like the recent stylised ones that are at least neutral the world over,
rather than modelled on country specific trains.

Building detailed replicas of your countries trains seems sensible for a MOC,
but unless you are going to produce a big range of trains, like the model
train companies do, then wouldnt you go the opposite direction so it has
universal appeal? For example, do you see the US lego train clubs modelling US
rolling stock or UK rolling stock? Would they even know what UK rolling stock
looked like?

To be honest, whilst I like the detail that seems to be in the new sets (if
they are real) they do nothing for me as trains. I would have much preferred a
highly detailed, accurate Eurostar model for example, cause thats something I
see regularly in real-life and think what a great model it would make, not
something off DB that I have never seen.

But I suppose begars cant be choosers, and whatever it looks like, then lego
train enthusiasts will buy it.

regards
lawrence