 Trains / 5268
Re: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:46:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Trains are designed in Germany. 3225 was. If this is for real, it is somehow
connected with a DB (Deutsches Bahn, the German nationalized railways)
promotion.

Could this in itself be a problem that Lego wouldnt not want to encourage? i.e
the sets are too German.

I see your point but I would point out the following items to ponder:

- Germany has the highest per capita brick consumption with 95+% or some such
households with kids having TLC products.
- Germany is a large market (almost 1/2 the US size), one of the wealthiest in
the world, and one of the most self indulgent
- Germany has more model railroaders per capita than anywhere else
- German model railroad companies, and there are a LOT, seem to do better with
"classic era" models (1900-1960 or so) than they do with modern era.
- the last two TLC train designs (not counting 3225 which was a "special") have
been superduper high speed jobbies and have flopped. Now, we know why, because
they aren't that good. But try convincing an exec of that. Doing a classic
design may have been easier to sell.

Rightly or wrongly, TLC ignores the US market now. It isn't positioned to move
track and accessories in the mass market. But properly marketed, these items
will have a high take rate among hobby shops who TLC has ignored. Many US hobby
shops have a large (25%) component of non us prototypes. This is especially
pronounced in G scale where LGB is dominant.

To be honest, whilst I like the detail that seems to be in the new sets (if
they are real) they do nothing for me as trains. I would have much preferred a
highly detailed, accurate Eurostar model for example, cause thats something I
see regularly in real-life and think what a great model it would make, not
something off DB that I have never seen.

To be honest, modern euro passenger does nothing for me. Too boring, too
similar. Seen one TGV you've seen them all. Yawn. But I like freight. Old time
euro passenger at least is "cute".

But I suppose begars cant be choosers, and whatever it looks like, then lego
train enthusiasts will buy it.

I am visualising a GG1 built using the red boxcab drive components already. So
heck yes, bring them on.

++Lar