 Trains / 4773
Re: WAMALUG heads underground
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:21:13 GMT

Christopher Tracey <ctracey@wamalug.org> wrote:

Thanks for the comments...

The whole structure will be underground(as a subway should be), there will
be a wall that blocks the outside structure from view.  I designed the
fin-like structure on the outside to channel light(1) into the actual
station
for ambient lighting.  This would be placed on the layout so that you
would be looking down the tunnel, this might allow for some foreshortening
and less detail further down the tunnel.

I was thinking this morning that I should do as Larry suggested and do
a cutaway station lengthwise, similar to how they did the Underground
stations in LL Winsdor(2).  This would allow trains to be run straight
through and have the added yet necessary effect of being stronger(3).

...A down-the-tube looks way cool, but can't be used functionally for
a train to run on... a side view (the one I was marginally working on)
allows a small loop of track for the train to run around (with the
back side of the track hidden)... An ideal was to have a mindstorms
running the train and making it stop on 'the back side' for 2-4
minutes then run around to the front, pause at the station for 15-30
seconds then go back.

...Now we have to make a working escalator! :-)

Also the structure is made up of click hinges and gray plates.  Thank the
maker for Sith Infiltrators.  :)

-chris

1- from a non lego source
2- never been there, but i've seen pictures
3- this one collapsed by the end of the meeting :(

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wildlink.com
lugnet #160