 Trains / 30798
Re: PF train motor / train speed and pulling power / noise generation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:38:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

Hi Dave,

yes the Emerald is not really a quiet train and from my perception it is slighly
noisier than old 9V equipment.

The sound is definitely different: 9V has a more metallic sound: quite harsh.
The PF motor + gearing generates quite a different noise type. I think we will
quite soon getting used to this....

Part of the noise is of course caused by the connecting rods and another bit of
sound is due to the fact, that a 90° curve has been included in flex track type
(not the final version, but early beta stuff). The many gaps cause extra noise
of course.

Maybe you ma compare these videos to learn more about the difference of 9V and
PF sounds.
PF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqAR2BgLB8
9V:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W71hpDO-b4E

(And from my impression these videos do not catch the reality very well. The
PF-motor and it's gearing is overpresented in the video).

Leg Godt!

Ben