 Trains / 30795
Re: PF train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:38:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

   Thanks again for the electrical information. I’m an electrical doofus. ;-)

So am I. However, I’m also into R/C aircraft so I have a long history with batteries and motors and could talk your ear off about them. I could also explain why the battery pack costs so much!

   Thanks for the awesome explanation! I learned new stuff today...does that mean I can go home now? :-)

Yes, I give you permission to go home. You can tell your boss I said so.

   I’m excited to see how the new motor and battery box pull. I think the new PF trains could add a lot of functionality to existing 9V layouts. I’m planning to incorporate PF into my layout for BW for sure.

I got to try out the new controller, motor, and battery along with the Emerald Night train at Brickfest. I didn’t notice any lack of power. The train was running on a Power Functions XL motor which oozes with power. Knowing that the same motor can also operate on 9-12V, you could always use your own battery pack if you really wanted more torque. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Consider that, even at only 7V, a PF XL motor has over 14 N-cm of torque. Comparatively, the old 9V train motor had only 1 N-cm of torque at 9V. The PF motor also runs much slower so needs to be geared differently to get the same speed, but factoring all this in you end up with about the same pulling power at the same speed.

Eric Albrecht

Technicopedia