 Trains / 29570
Re: The Future of Trains // Wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:08:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes wrote:
Hi Eric,
Hi Bryan,
Hi all,

you are right, we are under NDA and I will not comment on any posting either
positive or negative about the train announcement.

We AFOL insiders will read all theses posts and we will transport any suggestion
into our internal forums. And yes, some thoughts and ideas sound familiar and
others are new for us.

It would be helpful, if we can set up a public "wishlist" for the new train
system where only uncommented wishes are posted. Later someone could set up a
poll to find out the most desired components for a new train system.

All, remember we are still talking about a toy train which is abused (in a
positive way) by LEGO fans to set up huge model-train layouts.

Point of view?  I enjoy working with my LEGO trains.  I put out a lot of work in
'abusing' my trains to do a show, both for the visitor and mine own pleasure.
The model Railroad Hobby is the largest Hobby in the world. It is done almost in
every country and by trainheads of every walk of life.  Do we, as model train
operators consider that we are 'abusing', even in a positive way,the trains we
run?  Do we consider that we are 'abusing the manufacture of our model trains
when we purchase large amounts of scenery and building material to give our
layouts a life-like appearance?  Do we 'abuse' the manufacture when we do shows
for the public to enjoy?

The challenge for the future of trains is to have a place in this world wide
Hobby.  Plastic, battery powered trains IS considered a 'toy' by the model
railroad clubs.  It took us many years of 'abuse' and hard work to get into and
be recognized by Model Railroading.  Has all this been for nought?  I thought we
had made our case about this, it seems it fell on deft ears.  The profit on the
train componants is small compared to the other themes done by TLG, however, the
profit in the large amounts of LEGO purchased to build our layouts and man them
with minifigs and vehicles and customized trains should have brought up the
profit over all.

We have told TLG many times about the lack of advertizing the 9volt system.  We
have asked that tha Railroad Hobby Shops be allowed to carry just the train sets
and accessories to place them in the buying public's view.  None of this has
been done.

At our train shows we have consistenly been asked 'where can we get the trains'.
Now, officially, we can tell the viewing public that LEGO trains are no longer
available for another couple of years and at this time we do not know what will
be presented.  We can watch person after person walk away to look at buying
other manufacture's products instead of starting many more home and public
layouts of LEGO trains.  Keep in mind this also includes mass purchasing of LEGO
products to add to their layouts.  I would be willing to bet other manufactures
are pleased with this announcement.  They will enjoy the profits TLG is giving
away.

And finally, I feel that it would have been in TLG's best interest to continue
supporting the 9volt system to keep up this interest in LEGO trains until the
new system is in production and has a good track record to at least compare to
the 9volt system.  Leaving a two year+ gap will probably cost TLG a lot in
non-sales and it will mean starting all over to build up the trust in LEGO
Trains, both with AFOL's and the public.

These are my concerns, about one of my favorite hobbies and my favorite
company...

Don Cox     GtwLUG     Lugnet#1239     St. Louis, Mo. USA

This was and will
be the challenge when AFOLs use LEGO elements and especially LEGO train
elements.

Please remember, AFOL insiders are consultants and not decision makers. As I
know it from the Hobby Train Project there is always a bigger number of requests
then solutions coming to the shelfs in the end.

Holger