 Trains / 29468
Re: Brickling Brothers International Traveling Circus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

That is by far one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. The train caught my attention right off the bat because I have been trying to get those wagon wheels to work as drivers myself. Your solution puts my feeble attempt to shame.

I made a few attempts at the wheels. The first attempt included an overly complex set of pulleys and rubber bands, which worked, but not consistently. I then stumbled across a Brickshelf gallery which had a similar setup to what I finally ended up with. I refined it a bit to hide the working bits. I’m really pleased with the results.

   The detail in the wagons, the crazy (yet still good looking) colors, the bleachers, the clowns, the band, so much detail packed in, its all truly great.

The wagons were a lot of fun to build, and even more fun to research. For the other details, I still have tons of ideas (high wire acts, carnival booths, etc.), but I had to restrain myself. The train is long as is, and additional cars make it impossible to run. After reading Water For Elephants, the idea of creating two trains, one for the workers and a second for the performers, came to mind, but I only have so much display space at home.

   Of course the duplo giraffe works perfectly. Though I have to admit, I do miss the elephant. ;-)

Heh. I do too. If I do find (or build) a usable elephant, I have a prototype car in mind. I found an image one day of an actual elephant car that was basically just a drop-bed with a cage built over the center. It probably wasn’t the best way to transport an animal, but it looked cool.

Thanks for the comments!

-Elroy