 Trains / 29461
29460  |  29462
Subject:
Brickling Brothers International Traveling Circus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:00:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Ladies and Gentlemen! Children of All Ages! Step right up! Enter the World of Brickling Brothers International Traveling Circus!

Last month, I finished my latest theme train/playset. Inspired by a Duplo giraffe that I found in a mixed parts bin, I began building the train last February after NELUG’s show in Hartford, CT. Parts of the train were previewed in March at our Wilmington, MA show, and the final train made its debut appearance at Brick Blast last month in Vermont.

Parts for this MOC came from several different countries, and it was primarily built to travel as part of our train shows, thus the International Traveling part of the name.

Taking the train one bit at a time:

The Locomotive

Brickling Brother’s circus required a long train to haul the troupe and equipment. Long trains require powerful locomotives, so I decided to go with a steamer with at least six driver wheels. I wanted to build a steamer, with working drivers, without using Big Ben wheels, which provided the main challenge. The solution that I came up with was to use large wagon wheels, which were the correct size. The problem with the wagon wheels is that the hubs accept pins, not axles, which made it difficult to make them spin. The solution was to add a shaft, which pushes against the wheel spokes, connected to gears within the locomotive. The gears are driven by a technic motor which is connected to the train motor at the front of the locomotive.

The wheels float a single plate above the track to alleviate binding in the curves. The resulting 2-6-2, while not based on any sort of prototype, works very well, and looks nice while running. The only problem I’ve seen is that the drivers don’t like to spin in reverse.

The Tender

I wanted a large tender to go along with the large locomotive. Early on, I decided that the full train would have an alternating red/yellow color scheme, to keep the cars bright and festive. The tender is loosely based on photos of tenders that I found with prototypical 2-6-2 locomotives. The Brickling Brothers decal was applied to help break up the yellow wall affect, as well as to name the circus.

The Wagon Cars

Band & Giraffe Monkey & Snakes Birds & Magic The wagon cars were actually the first cars built for this MOC. Every circus needs a parade from the train to the Big Top, and circus wagons provide the color and excitement needed to lure in the crowds. I did a lot of web surfing looking at various vintage circus wagons, and I did my best to give a feeling of the mixture of bright colors, elaborate carving, and exotic feeling of the real things. Since I’m a six-wide builder, this wasn’t easy to do, as each wagon had to stay within the boundary of four studs wide.

As for the wagon cars themselves, they are basic flatbeds, with ramps that can be lowered for loading and unloading of the wagons. Chains are used to hold the wagons in place during transport.

Next up are the Livestock Cars. The next two cars house the horses that are used to pull the wagons, as well as the Ringmaster and Magician’s horses. Each car holds four horses, as well as a feeding bin with hay. The cars each come with a shovel and broom for cleaning the stalls, and each can be completely opened to allow the horses to be removed.

Following the Livestock cars are the Flatcars These are just basic flatcars used to carry cargo. The first car carries two folding bleachers, while the second carries a folding bleacher and cannon (for the Human Cannon).

The Big Top

The next two cars carry the supports and canvas for the Big Top tent. The first car, strategically stacked, is a simple drop bed which holds all of the supports. The second car, a simple boxcar holds the canvas. The door of the boxcar is based on a design I found on Brickshelf, which, in turn, was based on a design by Chris Masi, so, in a sense, I just brought it back home to NELUG. The top of the boxcar is removable, allowing the canvas pieces to be placed inside.

Passenger Cars

Two passenger cars carry the Brickling Brother’s troupe. Both the yellow and red car are built the same. Each is built on a drop bed frame. Each car holds eight passengers, with storage beneath for items such as horse saddles, barbells, and other miscellaneous equipment (including 2x3 plates to help minifigs stand on carpet). Like the boxcar, the top is removable to allow access to the minifigs.

Finally, the train is finished out with a simple Clown Caboose. This car is where Brickling’s clowns travel. Since clowns are not particular about their traveling arrangements, there is no interior to this car. The top is removable, and the clowns are tossed inside. This does have the advantage of being able to stuff a large number of clowns into a small space, however.

To give a sense of the length, here is a patched together shot of the full train.

Once the train reaches a town, and is unloaded, the wagons and troupe parade through town, inspiring patrons to attend the evening show.

Six wagons make up the bulk of the parade:

The magician’s wagon, driven by the Magician’s assistant. The rear of the wagon can be opened by removing the back fence piece, allowing the magician to store his equipment.

The Band Wagon provides the parade’s music. Like the Magician’s wagon, the rear can be opened to provide storage for instruments and headgear.

The Snake Wagon, can also be opened, allowing the slithering serpents escape.

The Exotic Bird Wagon, has been nicknamed “The Joker Wagon”, thanks to the color scheme.

The Giraffe Wagon, which is what inspired this entire project, uses some SNOT work in order to enclose the giraffe, who turned out to be three wide at the base, making it difficult to fit into a four wide wagon.

The Monkey Wagon holds a single caged monkey, with storage space for bananas.

Once the parade has finished, it’s time to set up the Big Top. The simplest piece of the Big Top is the entrance. Pieces for the entrance are stored beneath one of the passenger cars. Next come the bleachers, which, when unfolded provide comfortable seating for patrons. Finally, the tent itself is set up. The tent is made up of several pieces which, when assembled, create a structure of Supports and Canvas. The canvas pieces are hung from the supports, creating the Big Top.

Several acts are featured during the show. The participants include the Ringmaster, the Bearded Lady and Strongman, the Magician and his Assistant, and The Human Cannonball.

The Human Cannonball was a fun mini project. At technic belt stretched across the front of the cannon allows a minifig to actually be fired from the cannon. When loaded, a ladder pieces holds the minifig’s feet in place. When the ladder is pulled, the minifig flies from the cannon, much to the delight of the children.

The main acts are supported by Clowns, the Brickling Brothers Band, and the Drivers who act as support staff. There are also Engineer and Coalman figs for the train, but they regretfully did not show up for the photo session (I later found them in a box from the last train show).

The Full Show

This was a fun build, and it’s a fun set to play with, even in between train shows. The best part for me is that it can be displayed as a train, a parade, or a circus. At the last show we even set up part of the big top while the train itself traveled the layout.

And to answer the big question: Where is the elephant?

The only elephants I own are from the Adventurer’s sets, and they are huge. They are about 7-wide at the feet, and wider with the ears. They are also very tall, scaling to about the size of Jumbo the elephant, who, I believe, was the largest circus elephant ever. So, to answer the question, there is no elephant because they are just too big. If I ever get a Duplo elephant, I may add an elephant car.

As always, comments are appreciated.

-Elroy