 Trains / 28892
Re: A story, and a new Trains website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:12:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   As we near the release of LDD 2.0, I offer the following tale...

Two weeks ago, I was visiting the Tyson’s Corner LEGO Store. Although the store still sells 9V track and motors, they no longer carry 9V train sets, which number only a few these days as LEGO transitions to the Hobby Train model of train operations. I happened to overhear a parent in the store ask what must be an increasingly common question these days:

“Where can I find additional cars for my child’s LEGO train set?”

I did not catch the clerk’s reply, and perhaps it mentioned the LEGO Factory website. However, the Factory website makes it difficult to locate high-quality models that fit well with existing LEGO trains. It does not have the feel of an electronic catalog of quality MOCs but rather a hunt for needles in a haystack of very small pictures. For the AFOL and the advanced young hobby train builder, the Factory website does not meet the bill.

In response, I have designed trainbase, a website that (in my opinion) makes it easier to locate quality train models,

http://jordanschwarz.com/trainbase

Nice site Jordan. There is also the LEGO factory hobby trains page, which currently features some great models by James Mathis.

I’m not sure if that will be expanded to include models by other AFOLs.

ROSCO