 Trains / 26529

Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:18:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:

6. The IR unit is built into a 30-stud long base plate.

   Note that for the strong of heart, this might still allow smaller trolleys...
with some ABS shavings. But hacking the motor to allow RP and IR controlability
seems a likely direction in any event.

Also, for locomotices, the IR plate could be used on rolling stock pulled by a
shorter loco (this is how most of the old 4.5v trains worked). Doesn't wor for
trolleys though :(

So, the new BPIR system isn't all wine an roses, but what can
metal-railers get out of the new system?
1. Since the plastic wheels insulate the train motor from the track and
each engine carries its own power supply, using BPIR trains is an easy
way to get a second, third or fourth train on the same loop as an RP
train. I think this is cool because I could get a trolley running on a
layout without interfering with the train, well… as long as I am paying
attention.

   Or even when you aren't. The biggest news to me at BrickFest on this was IR
control - the RCX can transmit IR, and we've already got it running things like
Manas (that may use a very similar protocol). So multiple, RCX-controled (but
not powered) trains become a possibility, with the RCX inputs and outputs
dedicated to just controling layout features (points, animation, train sensing).
And this requires no modification whatsoever, just careful coding of the RCX for
IR control.
   One RCX, controling multiple trains, switching tracks, and loading &
unloading stations. If the train folks don't enjoy this, I assure you there's
some mindstorms types that are chomping at the bit.

Except the RCX will be obsolete in 6 months, and the NXT doesn't have IR. Maybe
all the mindstorms fans can pay for their NXT by selling their RCXs to train
builders???? :)

ROSCO

Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains
   In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
   6. The IR unit is built into a 30-stud long base plate.
Note that for the strong of heart, this might still allow smaller trolleys...
with some ABS shavings. But hacking the motor to allow RP and IR controlability
seems a likely direction in any event.
Also, for locomotices, the IR plate could be used on rolling stock pulled by a
shorter loco (this is how most of the old 4.5v trains worked). Doesn’t wor for
trolleys though :(

It’d be a nice nostalgic moment to see a battery tender version of the IR system, based on a short wheelbase. If you take a hacksaw to this one, your wheelbase is still going to be a minimum of 14 studs long, if you have the wheels right at the end. At that size you’d really want three axles to make it look good.

I understand the IR base has a large 4-wide lump in the middle of the top which actually houses the electrics (only the batteries hang below), so maybe a taller version could have batteries on top, but still be narrow enough to build up the sides of a tender. I’d have to practice my in-line SNOT though...

;-)

Jason Railton

Re: Thoughts on Battery-powered IR-controlled trains