 Trains / 26023
Re: Help needed on German trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:05:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Dear German speakers,

I recently visited Koeln and saw some extrmely interesting EMUs there operating as commuter trains for the service. Unfortunately my train finding skills aren’t so good and are even worse when I don’t know the correct words in a language. I tracked down one tiny pic of this train ()

I am hoping someone can help me with a few requests:

1) What is the way you say EMU in German (and/or commuter train)?

Commuter trains tend to be referred to as S-Bahn

   2) What German websites are good for finding train pictures?

As Didier has mentioned, the European Railway Server is probably the best place to look, especially as a starting point to find out what to search for.

3) What make of train is this?

I think it is a Bombardier(1) Talent DMU, these seem to be a common design across much of Europe (and even Canada) with various regional and operational variations. The ERS has various galleries of German DMUs. and also EMUs I suggest trying classes 643 and 644.

If it is, see here!

Tim

(1) Rubbish Flash website I’m afraid