 Trains / 26021
Subject:
Help needed on German trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:07:02 GMT

Dear German speakers,

I recently visited Koeln and saw some extrmely interesting EMUs there operating as commuter trains for the service. Unfortunately my train finding skills aren’t so good and are even worse when I don’t know the correct words in a language. I tracked down one tiny pic of this train ()

I am hoping someone can help me with a few requests:

1) What is the way you say EMU in German (and/or commuter train)?

2) What German websites are good for finding train pictures?

3) What make of train is this?

Any other help would of course be appreciated.

Thank you for your time on this. I can’t post on 1000Steine so if anyone would be willing to point to this post from there I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Tim

Re: Help needed on German trains
I recently visited Koeln and saw some extrmely interesting EMUs there operating as commuter trains for the service. Unfortunately my train finding skills aren’t so good and are even worse when I don’t know the correct words in a language. I tracked down one tiny pic of this train ()

I am hoping someone can help me with a few requests:

1) What is the way you say EMU in German (and/or commuter train)?

2) What German websites are good for finding train pictures?

Have you not been able to find what you are searching on the Railfaneurope website (eventhough not german website) ?

3) What make of train is this?

Any other help would of course be appreciated.

Thank you for your time on this. I can’t post on 1000Steine so if anyone would be willing to point to this post from there I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Tim

Didier

Re: Help needed on German trains
I recently visited Koeln and saw some extrmely interesting EMUs there operating as commuter trains for the service. Unfortunately my train finding skills aren’t so good and are even worse when I don’t know the correct words in a language. I tracked down one tiny pic of this train ()

I am hoping someone can help me with a few requests:

1) What is the way you say EMU in German (and/or commuter train)?

Commuter trains tend to be referred to as S-Bahn

   2) What German websites are good for finding train pictures?

As Didier has mentioned, the European Railway Server is probably the best place to look, especially as a starting point to find out what to search for.

3) What make of train is this?

I think it is a Bombardier(1) Talent DMU, these seem to be a common design across much of Europe (and even Canada) with various regional and operational variations. The ERS has various galleries of German DMUs. and also EMUs I suggest trying classes 643 and 644.

If it is, see here!

Tim

(1) Rubbish Flash website I’m afraid

Re: Help needed on German trains