 Trains / 25995
25994  |  25996
Subject:
Mount Washington Cog Railway
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 03:01:25 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Here’s a model I’ve been working on this week of the Mount Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire.

For anyone unfamiliar with it, it’s a small steam-powered railroad that takes passengers from the base of Mount Washington to the top. It was first built in 1869ish, and has morphed a bit over the years.

Due to the grade that the train must climb (about 36 degrees I think I read), the locomotive uses a cog that meshes with a rack on the rail line to pull itself slowly up the mountain. The full explanation is here: Mount Washington Cog Railway

I tried to model the same behavior using technic gears and gear racks. Cog Rack

The other thing that I attempted was the distinctive tilted boiler. Because of the steep grade, the boiler is tilted on the locomotive so that it is level when the train is moving up and down the mountain. Locomotive

Power for the model is supplied by a standard battery box hidden within the passenger coach. This required that, unlike the real train, I tether the coach to the locomotive. This turned out to be a good thing though, as the locomotive was back-heavy, and tended to flip over without the weight of the coach holding the front end down. I built switches for the battery box into the roof of the coach so that I don’t need to open it up every time I want to change direction.

I made an AVI file of the train moving up my test track, which I’m estimating to be about 30 to 35 degrees. Climbing the Track

I’ve run it at up to 45 degrees, but it occasionally slips as the locomotive wants to tip backwards, which disengages the gears from the rack.

Now I just need to get enough bricks to build Mount Washington.....

-Elroy