 Trains / 25849
Re: 10133 BNSF Mod using BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:05:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
   Ben Fleskes wrote:
   The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

snip

   But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels. No other parts are necessary.

Webpage at:

http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it’s still a cool idea. i’ll have to look into using them on my 8 wides.

These look great. The technic disk are way to wide for a 6wide engine. I’ve done something similar for a GP9’s fans. But I used regular plastic 9v era wheels. If you remove them from the metal axel, they have an almost stud on the back. The wheels “almost stud” can be extended with a 1x1 plate or brick. I’ve also used adventurer spoked wheels for tall fan shrouds on a set of F3s (phase 3 or earlier engines). Funit identifiying

   now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.

Unspoked? There are a number of ways to use 9v style wheels without the trucks. I’ve used technic bricks with pins, and I’ve seen others that use old style wheel bricks and plates. You need to remove the hubs and axel from the later two befor using.

Mat

I’m aware of that concept as well as one I used 2 yrs ago. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=14646 The main issue is friction and the ability to make wheel sets “trucks” without having to rip apart Lego train wheels. It would also be kinda cool to mount the wheels from the outside portion of the wheels instead of the inside. Doing so may provide the space needed for real sprung trucks or at least more realistic fakes.

ondrew