 Trains / 25838
Subject:
10133 BNSF Mod using BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:05:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels. No other parts are necessary.

Webpage at:

http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC

Re: 10133 BNSF Mod using BBB wheels
The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

[snip]

But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

<<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/bnsf_detail.JPG>>

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels.  No other parts are
necessary.

Webpage at:

<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans>

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris
--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease
http://www.oif.org/

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
Ben Fleskes wrote:
The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

[snip]

But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

<<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/bnsf_detail.JPG>>

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels.  No other parts are
necessary.

Webpage at:

<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans>

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it's still a cool idea. i'll have to
look into using them on my 8 wides.

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

Re: 10133 BNSF Mod using BBB wheels
The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.
But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Until he can show them spinning, I don't think we should buy any more
necessarily...  ;-)

Jason Railton

Ben Fleskes wrote:

The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

[snip]

But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

<<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/bnsf_detail.JPG>>

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels.  No other parts are
necessary.

Webpage at:

<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans>

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it's still a cool idea. i'll have to
look into using them on my 8 wides.

Yes, it is a good idea, and I was just being silly. I don't mind him
plugging his stuff.

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

I don't know what you mean, and "unslotted version"?

Chris
--

ondrew hartigan wrote:

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

I don't know what you mean, and "unslotted version"?

Unspoked maybe? But ya, I have to agree about eurotrash==bad! LOL...
++Lar

ondrew hartigan wrote:

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

I don't know what you mean, and "unslotted version"?

Unspoked maybe? But ya, I have to agree about eurotrash==bad! LOL...
++Lar

What, you don't you just love Euromerican rolling stock complete with
individually sprung wheelsets and buffers :?

Chris
--

Ben Fleskes wrote:

The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

[snip]

snip

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it's still a cool idea. i'll have to
look into using them on my 8 wides.

Yes, it is a good idea, and I was just being silly. I don't mind him
plugging his stuff.

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

I don't know what you mean, and "unslotted version"?

Chris

yea spokeless is what i meant.

sorry it was allmost 4 am when i posted.
ondrew

   Ben Fleskes wrote:
   The 10133 BNSF GP-38 Locomotive is a nice engine.

snip

   But why uses those stickers for the exhaust fans, when you can use BBB wheels:

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels. No other parts are necessary.

Webpage at:

http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

Chris

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it’s still a cool idea. i’ll have to look into using them on my 8 wides.

These look great. The technic disk are way to wide for a 6wide engine. I’ve done something similar for a GP9’s fans. But I used regular plastic 9v era wheels. If you remove them from the metal axel, they have an almost stud on the back. The wheels “almost stud” can be extended with a 1x1 plate or brick. I’ve also used adventurer spoked wheels for tall fan shrouds on a set of F3s (phase 3 or earlier engines). Funit identifiying

   now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.

Unspoked? There are a number of ways to use 9v style wheels without the trucks. I’ve used technic bricks with pins, and I’ve seen others that use old style wheel bricks and plates. You need to remove the hubs and axel from the later two befor using.

Mat

   Ben Fleskes wrote:
[...]

I’m aware of that concept as well as one I used 2 yrs ago. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=14646 The main issue is friction and the ability to make wheel sets “trucks” without having to rip apart Lego train wheels. It would also be kinda cool to mount the wheels from the outside portion of the wheels instead of the inside. Doing so may provide the space needed for real sprung trucks or at least more realistic fakes.

ondrew

Ben Fleskes wrote:
[...]

You'd have to use black axles with black wheels though, and the ideal axle
length is 5L, which come mostly in grey now.

I'd like unspoked small BBB wheels too (though I'll not hesitate to talk about
them :-) )

I'd also like a smaller version, say half way between the small ones and the
tiny wheels of the Spiderman Train Rescue set 4855.

The new design of tiny wheels in that set has reduced the friction between the
wheels and the axle pieces, to the extent that the wheels will turn if the wagon
is pulled at a suitable speed on 9V track.  However, it needs less friction
still to be a real success.

Therefore I suggest a new, smaller, BBB wheel, that takes a technic axle, has no
spokes, and whose radius is governed by the fact that you could put four of the
wheels on axles with technic studded beams and make a bogie that would go over
switch points without the beams hitting the crossing tracks.  Therefore the
radius to the running surface would be at least 6mm, leaving 0.4mm clearance.

I'd like to use the new wheels for container trains because British FKA
container wagons have small wheels and are lower than most other wagons, yet the
tiny wheels in 4855 still have too much friction for a train of 10 60L bogie
wagons to be pulled by a 2-motor loco, assuming that the load is two containers
with brick sides, one measuring 40x8L and the other 20x8L, both 8 bricks high
including plates (representing 9ft6ins high).

If a new, smaller, wheel were produced, I would be in the market for 80 wheels.
I'd have to think about the unspoked small wheel, since with wider trains I tend
to hide the wheels behind fascias anyway, so it makes little difference for me.

I'd like 40mm blind drivers too (to replace 40-tooth cogs and model team wheels
on steam engines) - if anyone else would find these useful then please say so.

Mark

Ben Fleskes wrote:

This mod uses three BBB 17.6mm flanged train wheels.  No other parts are
necessary.

<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/ideabook.html#exhaustfans>

You are a bad, bad man with very good marketing skills :)

ahh well it may be a plug for his parts but it's still a cool idea. i'll have to
look into using them on my 8 wides.

now if i could only get the small bbb wheels in an unslotted version i could
eliminate the euro trash wheel holders.
ondrew

You'd have to use black axles with black wheels though, and the ideal axle
length is 5L, which come mostly in grey now.

Or if 5.5 is ok, the 5.5 axle with stop is fairly common in black.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32209

ROSCO