 Trains / 25785
Re: Lego Train Factory - "preliminary wagon design"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
Found it via the Eurobricks forum.

Remote baseplate sensor

Preliminary wagon

New track

I do like the color schemes shown in the baseplate sensor and wagon shots.

Yes they don't look too bad at all. I do hope the sensor is separate to the
basplate though, so it can be built into other places in models. And I know
they're only design pics, but that looks much like a current train motor. I
wonder if the new motor will retain the metal wheels? Also I don't see any hint
of the battery box, it would be nice to have a sneak peek of where they're going
with that.

Is there even going to be a new motor?  You could theoretically stick an
ordinary battery box in the train, power a sensor/controller unit from the
battery, then that feeds power into the top of a standard motor.

If the receiver is separate from the motor (as shown here), that suggests to me
they're cutting costs by not providing a new motor.  If there was to be a new
motor, the cheapest option would have been to integrate the IR receiver into it
as a single unit.

So, the same motor and battery box as you're used to.  Maybe a new on/off 6xAA
battery box would be more appropriate than the 1xPP3 batter box or the technic
bi-directional 6xAA boxes we have at the moment.

Disadvantage for train fans is that you couldn't run it independantly on a metal
circuit as it would elecrify the track as it goes.

Advantage would be you could use it as an entirely indpendant remote control
unit and drive an auxiliary technic motor/lights/siren etc. instead of the train
motor - so I'd be happy.

Jason Railton