 Trains / 25630
25629  |  25631
Subject:
NR 75 - The Ghan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:53:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear all,

Just finished off a project I’ve been working on for a while. Was going to wait until I finished the instructions but time just slipped away.

So, I present here, NR 75 - The Ghan

This train, for those who don’t know, runs on the newest trans-continental route in the world, the Australian North-South from Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs. Mostly its a goods service although once or twice a week a 40-odd carriage train (over 1.2km long) takes passengers through the long and slow route up the country.

If you are wondering about the name, it is short for Afghan (like the country) and is named after the Afghan camel drivers who originally transported goods across the route.

Since I know nothing much about Australian trains (having developed the train habit during my stay in the UK) I couldn’t really tell you much about the motive power or anything.

Well, on to the interesting (I hope) bit, the model is presented in this BS gallery post moderation. I’ve thrown the MPD file in there for good measure.

The overall pic is:

which is a thumbnail version of this and a diagramatic style picture can be found here.

I hope to have the instructions done sometime soon, so if you are interested, please do check back.

Thanks for your time and please leave me feedback (good or bad)

Tim