 Trains / 24698
Re: Stupid question about modern passenger service in U.S.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:20:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason Spears wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Wilson wrote:
   I figured I wouldn’t get flamed too badly on the “friendliest place on the Internet” -- what is the status of individual railroads’ passenger service in the U.S.?? I was under the impression that Amtrak provided (almost?) all inter-city passenger service, until the other night when I had to stop for a Kansas City Southern passenger consist at a grade crossing.

Do individual railroads still provide passenger service?

Well I just took a non-Amtrak train from Michigan City to Chicago yesterday. NICTD provides service from South Bend into Chicago and has for many years. Also Metra has trains that run from downtown Chicago into a lot of the suburbs. However, this may not really be the type of passenger service you were talking about. (If you were really curious about cross country service.)

South Shore is probably commuter, and Metra certainly is commuter, so not covered under the enabling legislation which applies to “scheduled revenue intercity service”

(Most normal people would call Michigan City a different city than Chicago and thus you took an “intercity” journey, but we aren’t talking about normal people, we’re talking about Congress ... :) )