 Trains / 21637
Re: LEGO Track Geometry page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:00:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
   I’ve put together a page with some of my thoughts about LEGO track geometry. Please take a look and tell me what you think!

http://www.wards.net/~bill/lego/ideas/trains/track-layout/

--Bill.

Hey, Thanks for posting this. It will prove usefull when it comes to planing my next layout. thank you for throwing this together. OnDrew NILTC

Interesting stuff. I wan’t aware of the 12-straight model.

Mathematically, I can see this works because of two things: 1. The two curves at either end do the job of a thirteenth straight aligned on this diagonal. 2. The result is a 5-12-13 triangle, which works because the angle of the hypoteneuse (22.62°) is close enough to the run-out from a lego curve (22.5°) to work.

Are there any other mathematical tricks that can be used?

Jason Railton